Friday, December 4, 2009

A little miracle

I just wanted to share a little miracle in my life. You might think I'm silly.

My sister had her baby, Dinah Villette, about a month before Thanksgiving. The plan was to drive down to their house in Arizona for the holiday to meet the baby and attend the blessing.

Around the time that Dinah was born, everyone around us started getting sick. Pretty much every person I knew.... except me! And my boys! We just kept on being healthy. But I knew that it was inevitable that we'd get sick unless we quarantined ourselves, which just isn't feasible or fair for a healthy little boy. And I also knew that if we were sick, staying for almost a week in the same home as a newborn baby would be out of the question.

So I started praying that if we got sick, it would be either before or after Thanksgiving, but not during Thanksgiving week. It was a pretty specific thing to pray for.

As November went on, and we were still 100% healthy, I started getting more and more worried. Would we be able to go see my little niece? Would we get sick the day we were going to leave? I know, I worry too much. But it was a big deal to me. And I kept praying.

Two weeks before Thanksgiving, jr. suddenly got a nasty cold. A few days later, Josh came down with a bad sore throat that kept him home from work for a couple of days. Then I got suuuper congested.

A day or two after the sicknesses had run their courses, we were all perfectly healthy again, just in time to get in the car and drive down to Arizona.

A coincidence? You could try to say it was. But I know it wasn't. It's little things like these that consistently show me, over and over again, that there is a God, and that He listens to my prayers. I never cease to be amazed.






7 comments:

Lori said...

Adele, you look fantastic! What a sweet post. I'm so glad you guys were able to be there for the blessing. Dinah is SO sweet in those pics!

Curtiss & Ginger said...

Wow, what a sweet story and experience! Thanks for sharing. What beautiful pics!

Linda said...

I was praying for the same thing! It really was amazing to have all of us there and no one sick. God is watching and He is good. Hope you stay well now our new grandson is coming. I'll be praying that I am well so I can come see all of you.

Camilla said...

Awwww! What a beautiful post! (Okay, I'm a little biased.) We were SO glad you guys were able to come. I definitely had a few nervous moments when I would stop and wonder if anyone was going to get sick and not be able to make it. But everything went perfectly and we had such a wonderful time.
Dinah misses you guys already and she's very flattered by your post!

NoSurfGirl said...

I love that.

That first picture made me a little tear-jerky. I didn't meet my little niece until she was several months old... this time I'll get to see my (new niece or nephew) when she's tiny! And another one, too, in July.

:) Life is just wonderful, and it's wonderful to know Heavenly Father cares about what YOU care about, no matter how silly or small an issue it seems.

Steph said...

What a cute little girl! I love her bracelet :) I know what you mean about being grateful for the small things that God blesses us with even if some people think it is all just random. Having a testimony of prayer is a great thing. Thank you for sharing yours :)

Amy said...

I got all tear-jerky too. What a great story!

One of the greatest things about it is that you see as evidence that God loves you... the fact that your whole family GOT a cold. At the right time. THAT's faith, right there. You are awesome.