Thursday, February 11, 2010

Addendum to my birth post and pictures of Benz

***I wanted to add something to what I said in my post about giving birth. I feel like I might have discouraged some people from wanting to try a natural birth, and I feel bad about that. I think it is a different experience for each person, and it is worth trying at least once. Even though it hurt, there were a lot of really good things about Bennett's birth (no medical interventions or complications besides a tear, being alert after having him, being ready to go home-- we stayed only one night and might have left sooner if the hospital staff hadn't advised against it), and I am glad that I did it the way I did. I was only in pain for a few short hours, and I'm not in pain anymore!

The point of my previous post wasn't so much "Natural birth was lame-o, gimme the drugs" as "I was surprised that it hurt so much. How have women done this for so many years and why did God create us this way?"

So anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is, don't take my word for it. Decide for yourself and if you prepare yourself for a natural birth, I think you will be glad you tried it! I definitely feel closer to the women of the past who didn't have the medical technology we have today, and feel so blessed to be in a country when and where medicine IS available to help.***


Bennett is 4 weeks old today! Yay! Time flies when you're having fun.
And we really are having fun. We are so blessed. I love my family!!!










9 comments:

Josh said...

that's two cute babies. we be doing pretty good i thinks.

Jeff and Jen said...

You did it---those are adorable pictures of Bennett! I can definitely see the family resemblance between your boys.

I don't think your original post discouraged natural child birth. I read it at least 3 times (Once alone, once to Jeff, and once at the dinner table with 2 other pregos) and I'm still tempted to try it someday. Just not any day soon!

Linda said...

These pictures are PRICELESS! Give me more!!!!!!!!!

(I was deeply touched by the natural childbirth post and enjoyed comparing it to my own experience)

K.E.N said...

Wow, you're baby looks like a model already...you're going to have to beat the girls back with a stick. And I got the feeling you were trying to convey with the natural birth post and honestly, I have felt the same way many, many times.

Steph said...

Don't worry, you didn't discourage me from giving birth naturally someday. I have been against the idea for myself since I was little. NO THANK YOU. But I think it's amazing that women can do that. It really is great :) And your babies are soooooo cute!! I just want to squeeze them!

Lori said...

I love the new pics! It's so fun to see you as a 4 person family.

Ashley Gilbert said...

I think your post was totally fine, and I thought it was very insightfull...some reasons were even pretty funny. I think it is so men can buy us chocolates. Lol. Actually I think number three hit the nail on the head. But thats just me. I am not sure if I will go natural again. It was not the best experience of my life.

Camilla said...

I love that little Bennett so much already and I haven't even met him yet! Thanks for the pics.

And thanks for the birthing post. I think it's so important to be honest about childbirth and tell the bad as well as the good. Every side needs to be told so we women can empathize and relate with each other, Very insightful!

NoSurfGirl said...

Camilla, are you saying you're on the "tell my birth story to every mom who has given birth/is expecting" wagon??? Never thought it'd happen did you? :)