Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hard work.

1/14/2010- Bennett's birth
2/17/2010 - 13 pounds to lose
4/17/2010- 7 pounds to lose

I'm sore. I have been working so hard to lose my baby weight and get back into shape. I was thinking about how hard and slow it is, and I came to the conclusion that I feel kinda sorry for people who have it so easy. If I didn't have to work this hard to lose weight, I don't know if I'd appreciate it as much or feel as good about myself. It gives me something to work for. I hit a plateau a couple of weeks ago and got discouraged, but then I started losing weight again. Maybe I just have to convince my body that I'm serious?

Diet:



I don't actually have a set diet. Maybe I should. I haven't been counting calories or anything because it's such a hassle and makes me feel so restricted. I try to make good judgments.

I don't like deep fried food or red meat, I buy whole wheat bread/tortillas/whole grain brown rice, try to avoid high fructose corn syrup and partially hydrogenated oil, and drink 100% juice, lowfat milk or water, etc.

But by the end of my pregnancy I was constantly eating whatever dessert I felt like, multiple times a day. You name it-- ice cream, chocolate, anything I wanted.

So starting at the end of January, I decided to have only three desserts a week. It was very, very difficult for me at first. It was like overcoming an addiction-- I had to have sugar! But I stuck to it faithfully and have been doing it ever since.

This last week I didn't have any desserts at all! I wondered if I could do it, and I did. It's kind of addicting in a way (I know that sounds weird), but I don't think it's sustainable for life. Everyone needs to be able to have a little birthday cake or cookies or ice cream or whatever every now and then.

It's funny though because I still have leftover Valentine's Day candy (if you know me, that is unHEARD of!) and Easter candy. I also have a candy bar Josh saved me from work, and a pineapple cupcake he brought me. I have leftover Reese's Pieces and Junior Mints from a movie we went to. I have two different little bags of cookies in the freezer. I still have them all because they look tasty, but with only three desserts a week I have to be picky about which desserts I actually want to eat!

And the less I eat refined sugars, the more I get excited about healthy things to fill those urges for sweets. Who knew?! Yesterday I bought strawberries, bananas, raisins and cashews and had them in some yogurt today for lunch. Yum! And something a little different that I do (that I have been doing since I was a child) is freeze a cup of juice and then eat it with a spoon. It takes a while to eat and really helps when I am craving something sweet in the evening.




Exercise:



-Running (I ran 4.5 miles yesterday!)
-Crunches (on an exercise ball or with a two year old sitting on my tummy)
-Leg lifts (the front kind that exercise your tummy)
-Squats (while holding a crying baby-- it put him to sleep, and I was SO sore the next day!)
-High-stepping in place to music
-Lifting hand weights straight up in the air above my head
-Walking to the library or the grocery store while pushing a double stroller
-Dancing around with a little boy in the living room to silly music
-Youtube exercise videos

I wonder if these last 7 pounds will be the hardest or if they will be the easiest? I am so ready for this tummy pooch to be gone gone gone!



P.S. Come work out with me!

9 comments:

Camilla said...

Wow- only 7 lbs to go! Nice. I think you and I must be related or something, because when Dinah was Benney's age (not very long ago, I know) I was down to about the same amount to lose as you. And it came off slowly and surely, about a pound a week at a time. Sounds to me like you're practically moments away from your goal :)

As to your self control- I'm in awe! I think maybe I should try to be more like you ("why can't you be more like your sister Adele?" sound familiar, Camilla? JK!). No, but really, I think being healthy is absolutely addicting, just like you said. You almost get a rush from what you DON'T eat. Not that I've felt that rush in some time :( I seriously can't believe you have candy around your house and haven't eaten it. You're amazing!

Lori said...

You're doing so well! And it sounds like you're already in great shape as a result. You can do it adele, I'm proud of you!

Steph said...

Wow you're doing so well! I'm impressed that you ran 4.5 miles. Stick with it! I'm sure these pounds will keep flying off.

Trent and Meg said...

Nice job..I need to have that kind of control!!! Keep up the excellent work--you're almost to where you want to be!! :)

Erin R. said...

You go girl!! 3 desserts a week....I can do that! I've been having trouble losing weight too. I was doing really well and then I had knee surgery eights weeks ago and them boom....all of my motivation was gone. I've started running and lifting again, but your post just gave me that little extra motivation I needed! Thanks!!

Lora said...

I am so impressed! Keep going!

Linda said...

You are inspiring me! I want to be just like you.

Here's my advice to you, which you probably don't want to hear. Sorry, I gotta give it anyway.
Forget the scale (and the 7 lbs.) Are you feeling HEALTHY? I mean really, truly healthy. It sounds like you are doing everything just right! Good exercise, fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. etc. Also, being a WONDERFUL Mommy. Go for it! I applaud you. It sounds like the 7 lbs are motivating you. How about making your goal/motivation this -- No weight GAIN. Then if you lose more weight, it is just an added bonus. Psychology. (wink, wink) Also, slow weight loss is ALWAYS better. I would know. Again sorry for preaching at you.

P.S. I Love You Just the Way You Are. (isn't that the name of a song by Billy Joel?)

Linda said...

Love the cartoons.

Jeff and Jen said...

I have an idea... you can borrow hip-hop abs for the next two weeks, since I'm not allowed to do them anyway, and get good at the moves. When I can exercise again, we can do them together! I'm a genius!!! (Still need to return your dishes)