Monday, May 3, 2010

A word of warning for the lazy mom

Although it is tempting to neglect your baby, there are some potential negative consequences. If a bouncy seat looks convenient (such as the one below), don't be fooled. Even if it saves you having to hold your baby and play with him all the time for the short term (or maybe keeps him from getting stepped on while you run after his older brother), it will cost you a lot more work later. Trust me on this one.


Because the chair encourages the baby to stay in one position for a long time, if the baby starts favoring one side of his head, he could develop torticollus (tight neck muscles that keep the head turned in one direction) and plagiocephaly (a flat head). He might even have to wear one of these:


But even if he doesn't need the helmet, he will need to go through extensive physical therapy sessions, as well as rigorous exercise regimes three times a day. There might very well be six different stretches that force you to play with your baby, keep him happy, make him laugh, sing to him, and spend way more time with him than you normally would, all while stretching him. For the lazy parent, this might be quite frustrating. How can you Facebook and blog (or maybe even clean a dish or two) if you have to spend quality time with your kids? Life is tough.

Another potential drawback of said condition is that you should really avoid putting your baby on his back unless he is sleeping. This is inconvenient. Since tummy time gets old fast for your baby if he is left on the floor by himself, you will probably have to spend that tummy time playing with him and keeping him happy as well. You may even, as a result, be forced to bond with him and get to know him in ways you wouldn't have bothered with before.



And finally, you will need to fork out the cash to buy a Bumbo chair for whenever you really can get away with neglecting him (or maybe when you have to feed his older brother or finish the laundry. not that that would ever happen). Don't be fooled by the Bumbo, though. It strengthens his neck muscles, but you still have to keep an eye on your baby so that he doesn't fall out.



Moral of the story is:


Forget the bouncy chair. In the long run, it will cost you more time and money than it's worth. And it will force you to spend many wonderful hours getting to know your baby and falling more and more in love with his adorable smile.

12 comments:

Linda said...

Heartbreaking, but I sure enjoyed seeing the handsome guy.

How much longer do you have to do all the interventions?

Linda said...

I LOVE your new blog header!

Dahlia said...

Good advice! Especially now we are thinking about baby #2. I would have not thought about this! Thanks for all the info! I hope baby is doing ok, he is such a beautiful boy!

Josh said...

My wife is hilarious.

Lori said...

Oh adele, he is SERIOUSLY just so cute! I can't get over it. I hate that I haven't met him. I'm sorry that he's some obstacles to overcome, but I'm glad you're making the most of the situation. Oh, and way to update your blog! Christmas is great and all... but the new background is much appreciated. It looks really great, tell josh I really like it.

NoSurfGirl said...

Hilarious, I agree.

Having said that... I hope you're not beating yourself up too much. Heavenly Father created families to work... even big families, when babies have to be set down for 30-minute intervals of time while dishes are done and other kids' difficulties addressed. I love all my kids, and they all get my attention. And I also take time for myself, which is needed if I'm to remain a good mom, not a cranky, washed-out, stressed-to-the-max mom. Nice thing about blogging/reading/writing-- sometimes it can be done while baby is in-lap. ;) I've had 4 babies so far, and they've all spent a bit of time in the bouncer without the problems... so my way of thinking is there might have been something else going on, too, and you shouldn't feel too horribly guilty about it (I hope you're not.)

Anyway... I appreciate the word of warning, though. We do put our babies to sleep on their side, and I've been making sure to switch sides from nap-to-nap and bedtime after I get her up just to make sure she doesn't start favoring a side.


:) you're awesome.

Camilla said...

Moral of the story: Bennett is the cutest little cutie-pants ever! I love how his eyes open so wide when he smiles.
I think the warning about bouncy chairs is a good one that more moms should hear. So, good job. On a self-contradictory note, D slept in a hospital provided bouncy chair during her whole hospital stay (it was the only way she would sleep) and it SAVED OUR LIVES! But I know the situation is different and it was only because it was really hard to sleep at the hospital and the bouncing was a little extra soothing that went a long way. Anyway, that's my most recent relationship with a bouncy chair, so... :)
I know little Benney is just going to bounce right back (seriously no pun originally intended!) from this setback- and I know you're a wonderful mom! I can just picture you and your little sweetie pie boys playing and laughing and I'm jealous and wish I could see it for real. Love you!

Marie said...

good ot know. we had a bouncer for naomi, but she hated it. so we traded it in for a swing which she usually likes, but not too often. forcing me to be a more attentive mommy.

luckily she doesn't have a big brother or sister that i'm trying to chase after at the same time.

All the good... said...

I saw a baby tonight with one of those plastic head things on and told my mom that it could possibly be from a bouncy chair! Thanks for keeping us informed!

Aaron & Ashley Gilbert said...

How cute is he?! I love him on the little pillow! Chloe has a huge head and the Dr. is always commenting on that. Maybe that thingy could shrink it a bit. Hahaha.

Steph said...

Aw I love your little baby pictures! He is getting so big! It's adorable. And I'm glad for the advice. I'd rather play with my baby than put him in a bouncy chair anyday!

Mandie Flood said...

I guess I shouldn't tell you how long our little Tzipi slept in a bouncy.