Saturday, June 19, 2010

my spiritual sons?

We read the Book of Mormon with jr every night. We just read a verse or maybe a few verses together, and we ask jr to repeat some of the words.

He always wants his turn to read, and, holding the book on his lap while pointing at the words, often studiously reads the word "obapass" and asks us to repeat it. Can you guess what "obapass" means? (Josh Sr and I have recently started saying it, too. It's just such a good word.)

Lately I have been reading with a lot of feeling, emphasizing words that jr knows, and acting sad or mad as I read about Nephi and his brothers and their adventures so that jr can understand a little bit of what is going on. We got to a part talking about someone dying (I think it was the Egyptians in the Red Sea), and I made sure to act very sad. The funny thing is, the only way jr understands the word "died" is because when my ipod goes black, I say, "It died. We need to plug it in."

So tonight jr. took his turn reading the Book of Mormon in a very mad voice and talked about dying. I don't know what kind of book he thinks it is, but I guess he's enjoying it!

Speaking of being spiritual, the following 5-second video is Bennett's reaction to my visiting teacher the other day.

8 comments:

Linda said...

I enjoy your sharing these memorable life moments with us. I love how involved your boys are in your spiritual life. They have wonderful parents.

Steph said...

HAHA visiting teaching. that's great. I think it's awesome that you read to your kids and try to find ways to help them understand the scriptures. It's clear that he gets what is going on, even if only in small parts. And I cannot figure out was OBAPASS means!

merrilykaroly said...

I'll give you a clue... "obapass" is actually a phrase. And it occurs very, very often in the Book of Mormon :)

Dahlia said...

That's hilarious and cute! Sweet boys whether or not they find the gospel exciting. LOL

Camilla said...

Oh Benney, how could you? Oh wait, I know exactly how he feels :)
And Junes- I can just picture him reading angrily and looking extremely cute as he does it.
Can't wait to see my boys in about a month!

Camilla said...

Oh, and guess what? D is starting to be VERY interested in the computer. She crawls over to it about a million times a day and her little hand reaches up toward the power button and I have to move her back. And then I remember all those times I would be chatting with you a year or so ago and suddenly you'd be offline and you'd come back on a few minutes later and say that Junes turned the computer off. Haha. It doesn't matter how many times I move her away from it either, she just turns around a heads right back towards it (in fact she's headed for it right now!). Sheesh!

Bill Karoly said...

That is an AWESOME video!

Heidi Malena said...

"obapass" is obviously "and it came to pass." This is the book of Mormon here after all. Well, that's my assumption after all.