Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Why I am a Mormon - Josh

This is the response I gave on the new profiles on mormon.org:

I think the faith and example of my parents played a large role in why I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints today. I grew up being taught from both the Bible and the Book of Mormon hand-in-hand.

From the pages of the Bible I was able to learn of Christ's life as he healed the sick, and taught his gospel both openly and though stories called parables. From the pages of the Book of Mormon I was able to learn that Heavenly Father doesn't just speak to one group of people about his son Jesus Christ, he uses his prophets to speak to as many groups as will listen.

From both books I learned that Jesus Christ is indeed the savior of my soul. I learned that God does speak to his children here upon the earth, and that he gives us his gospel most purely through revelation to his prophets, which pattern started with Adam and continues today. From both books I learned that in order to act in God's name you must have authority given to you by someone who has the authority to give it.

I am a Mormon because I prayed with all my heart to know if God lived, if Jesus really was the savior of my soul, if God's word really was found in both the Bible and the Book of Mormon, and from my pleadings to God I felt the strongest confirmation of truth I have ever experienced in my life. I felt a peace that warmed my soul.

I am a Mormon because I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the church of Christ.

5 comments:

merrilykaroly said...

We'll see if Mr. Anonymous has anything to say about that :)

Steph said...

I love your faith in your testimony. It really shines through! Thank you for sharing.

Natalie Blackham said...

I liked how you connected the books together, and brought your family into it. The gospel is true!

Camilla said...

Very concise, yet full of deep truths. Your children are so lucky to have such a self aware person (who is in tune with the Spirit) as their father.

Linda said...

Wow! How well you understand the simple, pure beauty of the truth.
I am SO glad you have such a powerful testimony that will not only bless you and your family now but all your posterity as well. I am also very happy to be a member of your family.