Tuesday, March 15, 2011

11 days

I just spent 11 days in Park City, taking care of NINE kids -- my own two, and a family of seven others while their parents were in Europe. My hubby was there when he could be, but had to work down in Provo and go to school in Salt Lake, and some nights he didn't get back at all until 9 or 10 pm.

Anytime I had to go pick someone up from school or somewhere and there was no one to babysit the little kids, we all had to pile into the only vehicle that fit all the carseats:


Yeah... the whole back part is limo seating. There are no door handles, only a code that unlocks the driver door. Then, from that seat, you have to reach over and open the passenger door by hand. Only one side of the back opens, and then you have to climb in to put in the kids. Luckily, I was able to adjust the driver seat so that the pedals moved back and the seat scooted forward so my feet actually reached them.



Thursday - I get lost trying to pick the oldest up from high school. I make a wrong turn and then spend 15 minutes in a random residential area, trying to find a big enough road where I can actually turn around.

Saturday - The six-year-old twin girls write on their bedroom door with a sharpie. I get most of it out with toothpaste, and then wash the toothpaste off with vinegar and water.

Monday - I get stuck in a hole in the ice in the driveway. Even with the power of The Beast and 4-wheel drive, I can't move forward or back. Finally, after maybe 20 minutes, I say a prayer aloud. A neighbor comes out of his house to help me. I'm still unable to do it so he gets in and turns the wheel for me.

Maybe Wednesday or Thursday - The youngest, a two-year old, really wants to be a big boy like jr, and starts taking his diaper off all the time, refusing to put it back on. He poops on the floor in the master bedroom bathroom area (he poops on the floor again on Monday but my hubby is the one there to clean it up).

Thursday - I make homemade pot pie for the kids. After they have refused to even taste some of the other things I've made, I make sure it only has ingredients they supposedly like. Carrots, chicken, pie crust. They groan about having to try it, try one bite, and hate it. It might hurt more than when they don't try my food at all.

Friday - I need to get The Beast out of the garage and get the three little kids in it without running over anyone, so I put the kids in the cab and then go around to try and figure out the best way to get around the garage clutter and into the back. When I come back to the front and open the door, Bennett falls headfirst out of the truck. Luckily I catch him on the retractable step before he hits the ground. That same day, jr falls out of the other side.

Saturday - jr drops his underwear in a public toilet. I get to fish it out.

Sunday - I find an airsoft pellet in bennett's poopy diaper. I kept telling the 12-year old to put those away.

Monday- After jr gets a fat lip during a game of duck-duck-goose and I do some more book repair (apparently the 2-year old ripped this one up), Mommy and Daddy come home around 11 pm.



What was the hardest part? When I didn't have to drive The Beast, I actually didn't mind being a taxi driver for karate, basketball, and church activities. My own kids were kind of a pain, jr constantly picking on the younger guy and bennett being the clingiest, crankiest baby of all time... but no, my biggest complaint of all was, without question,

THE
MESSES.

Man, I used to think cleaning up after two kids in our little two-bedroom apartment was hard.

To be fair, I really can't complain too much though. They were good kids, obedient and respectful for the most part, who took care of each other. They had their dish weeks, and most of them did their own laundry. We had lots of laughs and tons of fun getting to know each other -- I teach piano lessons to their two oldest but didn't really know the rest of the kids before this. We went to an indoor kiddie pool, bounce houses, the Classic Fun Center in Sandy, and even made a home video together...

(the 2-year old is in front with me)


...I just don't know if I want nine kids anytime soon.

20 comments:

Chloe and Tyler said...

How in the world did you survive? You are amazing.

Ryan said...

For the record, your pot pies are the bomb.com. I think in August when you made them, I had about four slices (that night) and then hid one of the dishes at the back of the fridge so I could ensure myself a slice the next day. Wow - typing that out makes me look like a selfish pig (considering there were 12 other people who could've eaten it). D and Bens excluded, of course.

Way to go, that sounded hard.

The Gilberts said...

I loved reading this post! It makes me wonder how my mom did it. *She also had seven kids* I can't even imagine all the messes that pile up. You rock the socks for taking that on! Way to go! And just for the record, I think you would totally do great with that many kids. If it was your own environment, and you weren't having to be out of your element just imagine all the crud you could handle! KUDOS! MAJOR KUDOS!

Linda said...

I have been anxiously awaiting the chronicle of your Wild Park City Adventure. Tuesday must have been your favorite day since there was no entry for that day. I'm so glad you came out of this with no (major) injuries. You are a brave, amazing woman and I'm proud to know you. I would like your autograph when next I see you. I would also like to see the video you made. Also, I have NEVER in my life tasted better pot pies than you made for us at our summer reunion last year! I hope to have a repeat in April if you are up to it.

2DollarBill said...

I feel a little left out now, after reading all of the other comments. I don't think I have ever had a pot pie that you have made. But nonetheless. I am SO impressed! It is a good thing that kids typically only come one, maybe two, at a time. You are truly amazing.

Margaret said...

Wow - you're seriously brave to have taken that on in the first place. Did you ask the parents to send YOU to Europe as a thank you? :)

I'm totally impressed!

Dahlia said...

that is INSANE! You should get a shirt that says "I SURVIVED: 9 kids for 11 days."
HOLY COW! Did you get paid a lot of greens for that? If not I hope they send you to a 3 day spa, kid free! LOL Way to go. I always knew you were a trooper, but this is full blown Black Op Marine style!

Dahlia said...

by the way, that Limo-truck is WICKED!

Jennifer Ricks said...

Whoa. That's insane. It sounds like "sink the sub," you know? I think you deserve to go to Europe now! And way to go with chronicling it all so you can laugh about it when you do have nine kids! :)

Camilla said...

That limo truck thing is SCARY! I am having such a hard time even picturing you behind the wheel of that monster! You're my hero!

Last night, after reading your blog, I turned to Ryan and said "do you think I could do that, if I was ever offered the job?" He acted all positive and nicey nice, but I'm pretty sure I could see a smidgen of doubt in the back of his eyes. Haha! So I said, "let's pray no one ever offers, because I'm so greedy I wouldn't be able to turn the money down, and then I would probably have a mental breakdown in the middle of all of it!"
You're a champ Del, a true-blue, champeroni!!! Congrats on your survival!

Lori said...

Oh my goodness adele, that's quite the story! It sounds like you did a great job, I just know you did. That car is complete insanity! Did they rent it for the week for you? Or is that just how they roll around town?

Angie Judd said...

Oh my! I hope you got paid some serious cash! You are amazing.

All the good... said...

That's why we are blessed with one child at a time!

Meredith Williams said...

That made me physically exhausted reading all of that. Wow! YOu rock Adele. THat is one intense week. And that car is out of control. I guess if you have that many kids and that kind of money, it's the way to go

Steph said...

Wow, that's impressive! You're a pro.

K.E.N said...

You are a goddess.

Casi and Nile said...

You're a saint. I would've gone crazy. Also, I have seen and smelled much of the food Josh brings to work that you have cooked and those kids have no clue what they were missing!

You're the best. Period. End of Story.

Trent and Meg said...

Holy Jalapenos! YOU my dear are amazing...nice work with the kids. I might have yelled, seriously...just a little at least :D Nice work!and, just remember...they luckily come one at a time (most of them anyway :D

Jackie said...

I can't read this ever again. It has given me nightmares. I never want to see that ginormous vehicle again. You are one in a million. Honest.

NoSurfGirl said...

I giggled so hard when I read this. Those good kids, though! I hope my kids are that good someday.

I'm lusting after that van. Lusting.