Sunday, April 15, 2012

A Little Reminder

I probably shouldn't find this funny, but I do.

I was browsing Amazon the other day and came across a product that seemed too good to be true. It's called the "Newborn Rock 'n Play Sleeper" and it's kind of like a hammock for babies. It's super portable and just folds up, and it keeps the baby reclined so he sleeps like a rock. Every mom's dream, right? It's even got 4.5 stars -- with 587 people giving it all 5 stars.

My finger started itching to buy it. Finally I'd be able to put the baby down without worrying that his older brothers were going to step all over him in their crazy cavorting. Finally, I'd get a moment of freedom to do the dishes or mop my [really nasty] floor, all while the baby slept peacefully within arm's reach. Maybe he could even sleep in it at night and he'd wake up less often! Yes, visions of sugarplums began to dance in my head.

Then, out of curiosity, I decided to look at the 1-star reviews (there were only 32 of them).

Yikes!

Every single 1-star review that I read told the same sad story: They all talked about how perfectly dreamy the product was at first. Their baby was sleeping through the night and never cried and was happy for hours in the thing... until two months later when they realized that their baby had a HORRIFIC FLAT SPOT ON HER HEAD, and often an acute case of torticollis.

Ding-ding!

Months of physical therapy and lots of $$ to try and fix what could have been prevented in the first place, had they known. And sometimes the consequences are irreversible.

I just find it funny that there is no substitute for being held by your mama. We try every shortcut, every other thing we can think of, and they all have consequences. Put your baby on his tummy, he has an increased risk of SIDS. Put your baby on his back, and he gets a flat head. Put your baby in a swing, in a bouncer, in a carseat, in a hammock, and he develops torticollis.

Or... you could hold your baby. All day long. I guess there's something to be said for the cultures where people strap their babies on their backs and then go out to work in the field.

It's just so dang inconvenient! I am counting the hours until Lincoln has enough neck strength to sit in his Bumbo.

Anyway, let this be a reminder: Don't put your baby in any kind of a seat or bed that encourages her to put pressure on any one part of her head for too long. If your baby starts turning her head more frequently in one direction than the other, encourage her to get equal time looking the other way. Otherwise, your baby just might have to sport this stylin' number:


5 comments:

Klaudia said...

Thanks for the words of advise, I will pass it on to my daughter. Remember I'm close and would love to hold the baby if you need extra arms. Love you blog

K.E.N said...

I just looked that thing up, it is very tempting...but getting a helmet is not something I really want to experience. So I guess I'll just be hold this next one a lot like I did the others...oh well. Good to remember tho about the head movement, I'll have to keep it in mind.

2DollarBill said...

You know, I'm never good at remembering to check the reviews. But thankfully Andrew ALWAYS makes sure we do before we buy ANYthing online. Good reminders all around.

Camilla said...

This is funny to me because Candace and I were attempting to do fancy-pants pics of Evie the other day (you know, the artsy ones of that baby in all sorts of interesting, uncomfortable settings) and we did the one where you put the baby in a crocheted blanket and hang it between a chair and your hands (although you cut out the chair and your hands in the pic) and it's really cute cuz the babe looks like they're really cozy in a hammock, and as we were doing it Evie really seemed to like it (she was not happy about being squished around until she got in the hammock thing and then she was OUT like a light). I thought, "hmmm, why hasn't anyone invented that? A hammock for your baby- wouldn't THAT be cool!? Well, apparently, someone has, and it hasn't been the best idea after all. Haha. Oh well.

I actually find this whole topic- how to lay your child- extremely frustrating. Anytime I see some mom with a baby at church and her baby's head is perfectly round in back, I ask her her secret and 10 times out of 10 she says that that whole 'ONLY put your baby on their back or they might die from SIDS' thing your doctor tells you is a load of garbage and that their baby sleeps solely on their back. !!! Part of me is jealous that their baby's head is so round and the other part of me is horrified that their baby might... die? I don't know. Sigh. I wish I knew the answer to this conundrum...

Linda said...

Your boys have beautiful heads. Yes, they do.