Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Pie.

I love pie. I love to bake pies. It's the one fancy thing I can do. So I do it a lot.

I know what you're thinking: Is that really very healthy? Don't you care that you're killing your family one gram of trans fat at a time? And YES you have to use shortening to make the perfect pie crust. Don't kid yourself that butter will do the trick.

All right, I'll get to the point. I have found the answer to life's hardest challenges: organic, non-hydrogenated shortening. After looking for it in the grocery store rather passively for years, I stumbled across it at a random Target one lucky day. Bingo!

It lives up to everything I ever dreamed of. No trans fat, makes a fabulously delicious pie crust, and just as easy to work with as the normal stuff. I actually like the texture better because it isn't as icky and slimy and it's easier to get off my dishes and my fingers.

Nobody paid me to write this post (wouldn't that be nice) but I just wanted to let you know that I can't ever go back to the way life used to be. Since our neighboring Target and Costco, the only two places I ever shop, don't sell this miracle from heaven, Josh ordered me a box of FOUR from Amazon.


Is Bennett dreaming of all the glorious pies that will come of this?
Probably not. He doesn't really like pie that much.

That's a lot of shortening! They even have a subscribe and save option... but I'm thinking this is going to do it for me for awhile.

And hey, since you're probably in the mood for pie now, I just have to share THE most delicious pie recipe I, perhaps, have ever stumbled across:

Caramel Apple Pie.


Go here for the tastiest apple pie recipe in the entire world. It's a piece of cake, too. I mean, you just put the apples in, put the top of the pie on, and then drizzle sugary butteryness over the top so it can soak down through the cracks. I know. Pure genius.

Happy pie-making!

8 comments:

emily said...

You have just changed my pie-baking life. Now I just have to track it down!

Ryan said...

Rawr. June 28th. Look it up and then you know what to do.

Dahlia said...

Mmmmmmm! Don't worry Joshy, some day you will be so glad that your mom is an expert pie maker. Especially when Thanksgiving rolls around!

michele said...

Sounds yummy. Hey, how come you never made a pie when we lived together? I love pie too.

Linda said...

Wow! Knowing that you are good at making MY favorite food is an excuse to beg you to make me a birthday pie. You can drive down in the morning, make the delicious apple pie I want (and a spare one for your own family)and make it back home in time for dinner with your own family. Or you could just bring the whole family and party with me. Whichever works best for you, of course.

You gave me a little giggle when I read your statement that making pie "is a piece of cake"! I always prefer pie to cake when given a choice.

Camilla said...

Yum yum yum yum yum yum yuuuum. Please come make me that pie. Please. And I'm gonna have to look up that miracle shortening- sounds amazing!

Heidi Malena said...

Am I the only one who can't tell what it is from the picture? I googled it though and for anyone who can't read it like me the brand is Spectrum :)

Julie said...

i think we are kindred spirits, i LOVE pie. i almost never eat cake, let alone make it. i scoff at people who say you can make a good crust without shortening. i'm going to look up that organic non hydrogenated kind and get myself a 4 pack! you are so awesome!