Thursday, August 1, 2013

One Year

my lunch today, with lettuce from our garden


Today marks a full year of having a salad for lunch every day. 

There have been exceptions, of course, but I've been able to stick to my guns almost every single day. I've brought salad in a tupperware along with my kids' pb&j's to the park; I've eaten salad at the beach.

It's gotten easier. I originally tried to make it from August to Thanksgiving last year and thought I would die a miserable, salady death long before achieving that... but the longer I've kept up the habit, the easier it's gotten.

It's like... a lifestyle change. A sustainable dietary choice. The kind of "diet" that the experts encourage because you can actually do it for more than a month without dying of protein powder.

So to celebrate my year mark, I am making a goal to "eat good" for the month of August. It's really complicated.

Eat-Good (v.-adv.): Eat stuff that's good for you whenever possible. At snacktime, choose cashews or dried apples instead of the {extremely delicious} chocolate chip cookies your husband made. Stop eating when you're full. Don't eat too much dessert.

Crazy right? This new fad diet sounds dangerous, but I'm willing to try it. Want to join me?


P.S. Yes, I also still have FAGE for breakfast every day. It's getting a little old... but I'll keep doing it until I find something better.

P.P.S. Do you have any good salad dressing recommendations? Or recipes?

6 comments:

Steph said...

I love this! Wow, a salad every day? I'm so proud of you! That sounds awesome. I feel like we try to eat pretty healthy, but we can always do better :) I'm in!

Also - there's a homemade honey vinaigrette dressing that I love making with summer salads - like baby spinach, apples, raspberries and walnuts with this honey vinaigrette :) I will try to find the recipe for you.

2DollarBill said...

So I just read the Fage post. And I'm convinced to try it.
On another note YAY ADELE!! Do you feel like you've gotten results out of having salads everyday?

K_Fitz said...

Sorry, tonight's dinner may not have fit into the healthy bucket. Oops! :-)

K_Fitz said...

But congrats all the same. A year is a big accomplishment.

Camilla Cole said...

Wowzeroni! Very impressive.

merrilykaroly said...

bleh. I'm doing a terrible job.