Thursday, August 7, 2014

re: #HowToDad




This commercial is really great. There are so many things I could say about why we need this message (and they have nothing to do with peanut butter Cheerios).

Look, I've been bombarded for the last few years with constant messages about why girls and women and moms are so awesome, but boys and men and dads are awesome too. Let me say that again.

MEN ARE AWESOME TOO.

They are. Not *all* men are awesome, but have you noticed that not *all* women are awesome either?

Yes, I know the feminist movement (which has brought about many great things) is a reaction to the crappiness of how women have been treated throughout history. I get that. But can we not let the pendulum swing too far the other way now?

Women are not better than men. Men are not better than women. We need both parts of the team.

Let's give men some respect. Let's not try to convince them that we can do every job better than they can so we don't need them around. If we keep this up, they will start to believe us. And it's not true.

Let's all just give dads a little more credit. It's a hard job, my goodness.


8 comments:

Nathan and Sarah said...

I couldn't agree more!!!!!

Nathan and Sarah said...

By the way, this is Sarah not Nathan saying that. Nathan never would. He would just keep on quietly being awesome without any requests for affirmation. He's awesome, Josh is awesome and I know a lot of really awesome men!

merrilykaroly said...

Me too, Sarah! And that's why women have to say something about it-- because the men never will!

Linda said...

I have only 6 words to say:
Josh is a really wonderful father!

Heidi said...

Great commercial! I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for sharing, Adele. I agree. Men are awesome. Little boys, too!

Natalie Blackham said...

We watched "Maleficent" last night, and I came out of the movie feeling the same way you do. Prince Phillip was not needed in this Sleeping Beauty story. "True love's kiss" turned out to be Maleficent kissing Aurora on the cheek. I'm not big on romantic movies, but the prince was pathetic- he floated around uselessly before trying (and failing) to awaken Aurora. We do need men- they are capable of being the compliment to women that they can't do without.

merrilykaroly said...

Wow, Natalie. What a bummer. That sounds very similar to the ending of Frozen, doesn't it? Bleh.

Meredith Williams said...

AMEN!!!